It’s Pizza of the Month time, guys! When my husband got me a pizza oven for Christmas, I knew that I was going to have fun experimenting with different flavor combinations. I found a great crust recipe early in January, and we’ve been making pizzas pretty regularly ever since. In addition to plain old pizza, we’ve put together a Thai Chicken Pizza and a Pulled Pork Pizza. Both were delicious, and we devoured them in a few short days. This time, though, I made a winner. Hand’s down, best pizza I’ve made thus far. Honestly, it might be the best dinner I’ve made in a while. Yeah, it was that good.
It came about because it was Friday, and Lent means Brendan wants to avoid meat. We were going back and forth between eating pizza for dinner and eating seafood for dinner. Then it hit us: why not combine them? Shrimp scampi is always delicious, and I had a feeling putting it on top of a crust was going to be near perfection. I was right.
Instead of sauce, I used a roasted garlic paste as the base for the toppings. While it was certainly garlicky, it wasn’t overwhelming as the roasting process really softens the garlic flavor. The shrimp scampi itself was lemony and bright, and by reducing the sauce the flavors really burst without making the pizza soggy. The cheese added the perfect salty bite. As I said, we were completely obsessed with this pizza. We ate it all in one sitting; even I kept going back for more. I really have no alterations that I would make to this recipe, other than tripling it. Because if one pizza is good, three would be freaking amazing.
Shrimp Scampi Pizza
- 1 recipe homemade pizza dough
- Garlic Paste
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Shrimp Scampi
- Olive Oil
- ½ – ¾ lb baby shrimp, peeled (mine were pre-cooked and frozen)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1/8 cup veggie stock
- ½ tbsp. lemon juice
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Cut the bottom quarter off of two heads of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, wrap in aluminum foil, and roast in an oven preheated to 350 for 40 minutes. When the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze pureed meat into a bowl. Drizzle in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and mash everything together.
- While the garlic is in the oven, prepare the pizza dough according to the directions.
- For the shrimp scampi, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic and red pepper flakes together for about 30 seconds, seconds until fragrant. Add the shrimp, wine, veggie stock, and lemon juice. Sauté together until the shrimp are cooked (if raw), or fully thawed and juicy (if cooked). Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp from sauce and set aside. Turn heat to low, melt in butter, and simmer to reduce sauce by about half.
- To make pizza, par-bake crust according to directions (I baked it in my pizza oven for about five minutes). Spread garlic paste over the base of the crust. Top with a thin layer of mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Add the shrimp, and drizzle the scampi sauce on top. Sprinkle on extra parmesan cheese, and bake pizza for an additional 5 minutes.
- Let sit for a few minutes when it comes out of the oven, then serve hot.