I’m super excited to be featured over at Morsels & Moonshine today, while Aileen is enjoying a vacation! I first teamed up with Aileen through A Vegan Holiday, and am happy to be continuing our partnership. I’ve posted the recipe below, but be sure to check out the full post over on her blog!
Peanut Butter Cup Brownies
Gluten Free & Vegan
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, separated
- ½ cup white sugar, separated
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flax seed, dissolved in 6 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp warm coffee
- ¾ cup gluten free flour, with xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup salted, roasted peanuts
- Vegan Chocolate Glaze (equal parts powdered sugar and cocoa powder, thinned with almond milk)
- Preheat oven to 325. Line a 8×8 pan (or 7×11) with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together applesauce, ¾ cup cocoa powder, ¼ cup white sugar, and ¼ cup canola, until everything is incorporated. The mixture should be moist throughout.
- Stir in remaining white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Mix on low until it is homogeneous.
- Add in flax eggs and coffee, and beat vigorously, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- With the mixer on low, beat in remaining cocoa, flour, and baking soda. Continue to beat until everything is incorporated and the mixture is glossy. The batter will be thick.
- Transfer batter into prepared pan, and bake for 45 – 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely, frost, top with peanuts, and drizzle with chocolate glaze.
- To make the frosting: beat together peanut butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, and slowly add almond milk till you reach desired consistency.