I don’t know about you guys, but I am a creature of habit. I take my coffee mugs off of my mug tree in the same order every time. It doesn’t matter that they are identical apart from color; coffee just tastes better from the orange one. In the evening, I sit in the same spot on the couch, and good luck to anyone who tries to take it from me. But perhaps the saddest part of my habitual nature is my breakfasts. For years, I would eat a cup of yogurt with some fruit for breakfast. Every. Single. Morning. Now, thanks to lactose intolerance, it’s a scrambled egg. If I really want to get crazy, I’ll throw in some roasted vegetables and call it an omelet. I know I’m not alone in this. Kelly Ripa has gone on and on about her avocado toast obsession. I can’t say I know anyone else who does this, so maybe it’s just the two of us. But at least it isn’t just me.
Anyway, I’ve been trying to expand my breakfast horizons. I still eat my scrambled egg, but I’m trying to add to it. So when I was faced with the latest sad banana time, I wanted something new. Instead of plain old banana bread or muffins, I decided on these breakfast bars. The oats make it pretty substantial, and give it such a nice texture. They are moist and portable, with just a hint of sweetness. If that isn’t enough, I topped half of them with a vegan chocolate glaze. Because, much like a Mounds bar, sometimes you feel like chocolate, and sometimes you don’t. (Full disclosure: my husband disagrees. He always feels like chocolate).
These banana bars have made a fantastic addition to my morning routine. And my afternoon snack routine. And (especially the chocolate ones) my late night munchies routine. I just may have to buy more bananas and let them get brown intentionally. You probably should, too.
Are you in a breakfast rut? What is it?
Vegan Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- ½ cup GF flour, with xanthan gum
- 1 ½ cups GF oats, separated
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 ½ tbsp PB Fit Powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seed, dissolved in 3 tbsp warm water)
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor, pulse together ½ of the oats to make a flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, and PB powder.
- Beat bananas and sugar together in the base of a stand mixer.
- Add flax seed and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Slowly beat in the dry ingredients.
- Transfer batter to a greased 8×8 baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in pan. Slice bars, and drizzle with vegan chocolate glaze. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Vegan Chocolate Glaze
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp light vanilla almond milk
Whisk all ingredients together until smooth. Makes enough to drizzle 8 bars (double to ice all of the bars)
Makes 16 bars, 80 calories per bar; 100 calories with chocolate drizzle
12 bars, 107 calories per bar