Oh bananas. So well known in pop culture. They wear pajamas. They star in knock-knock jokes. They help Gwen Stefani teach America’s youth how to spell. What? You mean that wasn’t her intent? Sad…
Anyway, I love having bananas around the house. But, for the longest time I had to get them in particularly large bunches. See, my dad likes green bananas. Not plantains: green bananas. If I were to buy a normal sized bunch, they would all be gone before they were actually ripe. And that’s just sad. But, the thing about bananas is that they are annoyingly finicky. They will be under ripe for about a week. Then, for two glorious days, they are perfect. Then, when I wake up the next morning, they are brown and falling off of the banana hanger, ripping right out of their peels. So, after making my dad leave me the disgusting green bananas, they literally start to fall apart right in front of me. Thus, I have ended up baking with bananas a lot. Because while brown bananas are inadequate for my Rice Chex, they are pretty ideal for muffins, and cupcakes, and breads.
In my recipe stockpiles, I have a ton that call for bananas. I’ll edit them, sub in whatever ingredients I have sitting around my kitchen, and hope that they turn out. This latest iteration of banana bread ended up vegan-ish. I say “-ish” because I added chocolate chips. The bread itself it totally vegan, but chocolate makes me happy. Walnuts or raisins would work well in its place as a vegan substitute. Or vegan chocolate chips, because as I said, chocolate = happy. But it’s totally up to you. So go into the kitchen and use those sad brown bananas you made your dad leave for you. Maybe, just maybe, you’ll be able to convince him that the baking was your mission all along!
Vegan-ish Banana Bread
Makes 1 Loaf, 12 servings
- 1 ½ c. gluten free flour, with xantham gum
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Dash cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 over-ripe bananas
- ¼ c. apple sauce
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seed, mixed into 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Heaping ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mash bananas and mix with apple sauce. Add sugar and mix until combined. Beat in flax egg and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture, and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour, or until the loaf has risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Wait at least ½ hour before slicing. Or don’t. I won’t judge you.